Thursday 11 March 2010

Chocolate May Cause Violent Behaviour!!


Googling away looking for topics on bad behaviour, I came across this article - chocolate may sow seeds of bad behaviour, which, to sum it up, suggests that children who frequently consume chocolate and sweets every day are more likely to commit violent offences in adult life.

The only time I would consider violence and chocolate in the same topic of discussion are in the following circumstances.

1. I feel angry, I need chocolate to calm me down. I mite get violent otherwise.
2. Give me chocolate. Give me chocolate now or you will suffer pain of death.

Never would I have considered that supplying chocolate and sweets to your children would cause bad behaviour! The author is a medical journalist, with a PhD, surely she can be considered an expert?

I, however, think this article to be reckless and offensive.

The key section of this article suggests that the reason for this association maybe be of psychological factors rather than the physical reaction to the sugary demons. Apparently, if parents give chocolate to their children when ever they want, children will not learn about delayed gratification, and therefore become impulsive, and such a trait can lead to violence and delinquency. Therefore chocolate should be given as a treat...

Woah woah woah! Just hold on a minute! Surely other things can lead to this impulsive behaviour? Such as supplying presents, toys, games etc whenever a child (or a more frequent term - spoilt brat) demands it! Giving in to all requests and desires a child demands would lead to this so-called impulsive behaviour! I feel the researchers and the author if this article are putting too much responsibility and blame on chocolate and sweets, and, quite frankly, they should be ashamed at trying to tarnish the wonderful and delightful reputation that chocolate and other confectionary items so rightfully deserve!

No comments:

Post a Comment