Friday 23 April 2010

For Fuck Sake! Its all about Swearing and Bad Language



The above image demonstrates what words a perceived to be 'swear words' or not according to a survey...

Well. I would be a complete hypocrite if I were to claim that swearing and bad language is disgusting and there is no need for it - because I swear often! I am fully aware that I may offend some people, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I really care! It has pretty much become second nature, and I would go as far to say that swearing is part of my general spoken language! That's not to say that I constantly curse and deliver expetives, and, with further analysis, I would probably suggest that I swear more often when around friends than in front of strangers...and certainly more often when i'm annoyed or stub my toe on the door. Neither do I judge other people who swear - except for when it is a complete over-reaction, intended and aimed towards someone to insult them - then I would judge, maybe not so much for the swearing, but for the over all behaviour! However, I must be a hypocrite because I also judge people on the specific swear words they use...some words I just find too crude, which, I admit is ridiculous! for example, the c*** (I won't even spell it!)- there are other words to describe its meaning, per se, but this one is very much socially unacceptable.

It's pretty obvious why some words are offensive or considered crude, but some swear words such as 'bastard' simply refers to a child born out of wedlock...why are some words just not acceptable? Is swearing bad language? have a read, it generally discusses swearing, and a general history to swearing and bad language.

How swearing works gives a few more reasons as to why we swear, social responses to swearing and biological brain activity with regards to processing swearing,emotional responses to it and also swearing disorders!

No comments:

Post a Comment