Friday 5 March 2010

In Response to a Response...!


In response to PH1000... is Being Blogged...

Firstly, I apologise, I don't think I made my point clear...when I stated '"A baby is a human being (obviously!) and will have the same rights as anyone else. This should not be any different just because he/she is in utero." I was trying to express my personal opinion in that a child DOES have the same rights as an adult (they are also protected by the human rights act hence social services etc.Indeed, parents have the responsibility of protecting and enforcing their children's rights, but if they do not do so properly, actions are taken to protect the child.), and I personally feel that just because a baby is in utero they shouldn't be dismissed from having the same rights. Especially in the last trimester of pregancy when a baby has a very high probability of survival if born prematurely, and, co-incidently, it is during this time when the effects of smoking have a more detrimental affect. I suppose this is down to personal opinion!


The above opinion is critical to my further arguement in that I also believe that 'the personal choice of the mother-to-be holds primacy over considerations of her unborn child's health-- and, I'm afraid, rightly so' goes against my personal opinion that this is not rightly so, I do not feel that personal liberties and choices should be held of higher worth and importance than the health and welfare of an unborn child. I feel that the principal of choice SHOULD be undermind if it is to the detriment of another being.

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child states that: "The child, by reason of his physical and mental immaturity, needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth." (Declaration on the Rights of the Child,1959). Some of this is covered in this article. describing human rights, which set minimum entitlements and freedoms that should be respected by governments. They are founded on respect for the dignity and worth of each individual, regardless of birth status and therefore apply to every human being everywhere.

I don't feel the government do enough to protect unborn foetuses (I feel the urge to write foeti here!) from the effects of smoking during pregnancy. I suggested a compulsory 'stop smoking' course as it is not a punishment of the pregnant woman, like a fine would be, but it is clearly advocating the welfare and health of an unborn child.

No comments:

Post a Comment