Wednesday 3 March 2010

A response!


In response to Speak Your Mind! regarding smoking whilst pregnant - I have similar views.

I am pretty much of the opinion where I am both disappointed and disgusted with those who smoke whilst pregnant, and I also feel that the government should step in. I am not sure if fining pregnant women who smoke is the best way to do this, but may be a compulsory NHS Quit Smoking course? I am usually quite reasonable and am open to altering my opinions following other peoples view point - but on this subject I feel quite strongly.

A baby is a human being (obviously!) and will have the same rights as anyone else. This should not be any different just because he/she is in utero. When a woman is pregnant, she has a duty to protect and nurture her child - even before birth. As adults we can make the choice whether to smoke or not, whereas a developing baby is vulnerable to the choices their creator is making, and they should have a voice to represent their needs - the NHS and government! Yes, people should be free to do with their bodies as they want - but not at the expense of someone else. A baby is not just an 'addition' to the body of the mother, it is a separate and dependant person and should be regarded as such. It is a commitment to develop and subsequently raise a baby - to stop smoking is one of the many difficult tasks a pregnant woman should face! It has a direct bad influence on your child.
Many women accept the challenges of pregnancy, dietary changes, alcohol intake, folic acid...so they should!

Having and raising a child is a full time job with large responsibilities - this should start at the beginning of pregnancy!


I refer to 4 years ago when I was pregnant. I was lucky as I am a non-smoker and so I didn't have to face the difficult challenge of giving up - however my partner was. He loved smoking, bless him. Never wanted to quit and loved every cigarette he puffed away at. But as soon as WE were expecting, his views changed. Initially he carried on smoking, but refused to smoke any where near me. Pre-pregnancy, he smoked in the garden, but pregnancy influence caused an insistence that this was not enough, and instead went for a walk round the block instead! He was then horrified when he was informed by the midwife that the smoke clings to your clothes for at least half an hour, and I could still passive smoke - next came the 'outdoors, round-the-block smoking hoodie' only to be worn in times of cigarette usage and must be kept in the porch! I tell you no lies! Eventually he gave up,and this benefited everyone...

Have a read of the following article...Why Quit

No comments:

Post a Comment